Friday, May 27, 2011

Chanel Mimosa

It's almost summer so I figured it was a good time for a sunny yellow! My skin tone is pretty neutral so I think I can pull off most nail polish colors, but for some reason I feel like warm yellows look terrible on me. Mimosa isn't a super warm yellow (OPI Need Sunglasses looks strange me on, for example), but I'm still on the fence about it.
It's a warm yellow cream with some hidden orange shimmer. Formula-wise, it was very streaky. This is four thin coats and you can still see streaks. To be fair I do think that you can get better results with slightly thicker coats, but I don't think there should be a learning curve with $25 nail polish. I keep thinking the next Chanel polish I buy will be just as amazing as the Khaki collection, but they haven't been yet. Oh well, at least they last for me. Other than that, it dries fairly quickly for a cream and the viscosity was about average.

Honestly I'm not sure if this color is worth it. Of course I say this as a person on whom this color is not super flattering, but there's nothing about this that is really all that special. The hidden shimmer is fun but the streakiness kills it for me at this price point. Of course if you're a polish hoarder like me you'll probably get it anyway!

3 comments:

  1. I love that color! But I don't think pale colors compliment my pale hands so I don't really get to use them :( I hope your future chanels are worth the $$! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably get it although all reviews are pretty bad. I just like the color on all the swatches I've seen, seems to me like they made a really uniquely flattering yellow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, this color seems to be flattering on most people, you might want to try it out.

    Hermetic, I know, I still got it after all the bad reviews! I've heard that if you use a ridge-filling base it helps with the application.

    ReplyDelete