Saturday, October 30, 2010

Masquerade Nails

So I guess these aren't really Halloween nails, but my BF and I are going to a Venetian masquerade-themed party tonight, so we bought some masks. I wanted to do a mani that matched the mask, so this is what I came up with:

The pink part is Zoya Lola with Diamond Cosmetics Pink Flaminglo on top, then Sinful Colors Nail Art in Time Off and American Apparel Hassid on the lunula, topped with black rhinestones. I originally thought that the glitter from Flaminglo would add some interest, but I think it made the look a bit over the top. Lola is bright and fun enough; I think the look would have looked more elegant without the glitter. I also thought it would be cool to have glow-in-the-dark nails, but it seems like the effect is pretty weak.

I used the nail art polish to outline a curve, then painted a line of top coat to use as glue. Seche Vite is made to permeate the layers of polish underneath, so it softens the polish enough to press the rhinestones into the layers. Then I filled in the lunula with Hassid b/c I found it easier to use than the brush that the nail art polish came with. Topped everything off with a thick layer of Seche Vite and it all seems very secure. I think next time I will try not to paint over the rhinestones, though, because now you can't see the facets and they look like little balls instead of gems. Luckily, the ball look kind of works with the mask.


Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. I'm loving this! It's so simple and cute plus it matches your mask perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these, too. So pretty, and the photo with the mask is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mal and Claudia! It's the first mani in a long time that I've worn for more than a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your nails they look so pretty!
    also love the way you combined the colors.

    if you have time please check out my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete